Friday, April 19, 2019

Week 13 Story- The Cranes

The Cranes


There once was a young boy named Joe. He was good at school and well behaved. Joe did not have very many friends. He did not mind not having friends. He kept to himself most of the time. His favorite past time was to explore.
Joe lived in the Himalayas with his family. Often he would go hiking or visit the nearby lakes. He enjoyed feeling high above the town he lived in. The crisp glacier lakes were too cold to swim in, but Joe would just enjoy the view.
One day Joe decided to go for a hike. He decided to go to the nearby mountain so he could get home before dinner. He reached the top of the peak and watched over the town.  Joe thought to himself, "It's nice to avoid the people sometimes... but... I wish I had a friend to share this with."
Just as he thought he wanted a friend two cranes flew next to him. This was strange because cranes do not live in the Himalayas. Before Joe could question it, the cranes asked him if he wanted to go explore a new cave they found. "Where is it and how would we get there?" Joe asked. The cranes said, "The cave is in a nearby mountain that is near a neighboring town. We would have to fly there." Joe laughed at the idea of him flying, "How could I fly? I don't have wings."
The cranes got an idea! They flew down the mountain and got a stick and brought it back to where Joe was. "We will each hold one end of the stick in our mouth and you have to hold onto the stick with your hands. Then we will all take flight an explore the new cave." said one of the cranes. Joe agreed even though it seemed a little dangerous.
They took flight! They flew high above the town. They landed at the new mountain. They hiked to the new cave. It wasn't very far. When they reached the cave Joe was excited. They explored all day until they had to go back home.
So the cranes took him back home. Joe was so happy to have these two cranes as his new friends. They made this a weekly tradition. The cranes would come and pick him up and they would go on an adventure.

Bibliography-Twenty Jātaka tales, retold by Noor Inayat,

Authors Note- I took inspiration from Twenty Jātaka Tales- The Tortoise and the Geese. In the original story the geese take the tortoise away to stay with them. The tortoise couldn't hold on to the stick that the geese carried in their beaks. It fell into a kings court. The story ended with the king being taught a lesson "Bad things happen to those who don't bite their tongue. 
I strayed from this story a lot. I just wanted to incorporated birds helping something that can't fly.

The tortoise being carried through the air.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sheneka! I would like to start off by saying that I really enjoyed reading your story. Ive read the story you chose to write about, and I like how you changed the ending of the story. Instead of having the boy fall from his flight, you made him able to go on adventure. Moreover, I thought it was really cute and I liked your version much better than the original one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sheneka,

    I really enjoyed your retelling of the Jataka story. I was in the same boat as you, I felt like the turtle and the cranes were going to be friends, but the whole story was about the king learning a life lesson. Safe to say, I was really happy when I read your story and saw that the cranes and the turtle were friends and helped eachother. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sheneka!
    I really enjoyed your retelling. You made it so much happier. The Jataka story has such a sad ending, I was worried about the ending as I was reading yours hoping the endings were different. Thankfully they are! I am so glad he got to go on such an adventure. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost wish you hadn't strayed so much from the story because often Jakata tales have so sort of morals involved to teach kids life lessons and kindness. Your story is very lighthearted and happy I will say. Joe and these cranes seems to go on their weekly adventures to explore. This would make a great American children book because it's just meant to be an uplifting adventure story! You did a great job at making it way more wholesome.

    ReplyDelete